It's a new and exciting season at Tiyya! In just this past week, we’ve hit several major milestones:
- On June 1st, Meymuna accepted a Peace Ambassador Award from The Violence Prevention Coalition of Orange County.
- On June 2nd, we hosted Tiyya’s first public Iftar Banquet. We broke bread with 140 guests at Aliso Viejo Country Club to celebrate various international cultures in our community and helped to launch Tiyya's catering project, Flavors from Afar. We made just over $50,000 and we couldn't have done it without our amazing guests, donors & sponsors, board members, volunteers, friends and family. (see photos below).
- On June 4th, Meymuna was honored by the Office of Mayor Garcetti's Office and The Human Relations Commission for her leadership and contributions to the well being of refugees, asylees, and low income immigrants. Through her work at Tiyya Foundation, countless individuals and families find hope and a new life in a welcoming place. In her speech, Meymuna stated, "They say it takes a village to raise a child so I'd like to say thank you all helping and joining me in raising Tiyya." (see photos below).
- Since launching Flavors From Afar, we've been featured on The Los Angeles Times and we couldn't be more proud of our chefs who are bringing this project to life!
- We have a VENMO account! Donating has never been easier and your contributions mean the absolute world to us. Find us @tiyyafdn.
We're looking forward to all that's to come and want to thank everyone who has been along for the ride! Our next major event is our annual Backpack Drive on August 5th and other mixers in the works. Stay tuned for more!